An uncharacteristically fair-minded article from the Jewish Chronicle told this story on March 1. A full statement from the StoptheJNF campaign appears below.
The Green Party has called for the JNF to be stripped of its charity status and has pledged to sign up to a campaign which calls the charity “racist”.
Delegates voted unanimously in favour of a motion condemning JNF’s activities and denouncing its “claims to be an ecological agency” at the England and Wales party’s spring conference on Sunday.
The motion was proposed by Deborah Fink, co-founder of Jews for Boycotting Israeli Goods.
27 February 2012
* The Green Party of England and Wales condemns the Jewish National Fund for its activities in excluding non-Jews from Israeli land and denounces the organisation for claiming to be an ecological agency.
* The GPEW endorses the international call for action against the JNF and supports efforts to revoke its charitable status in the UK.
* The GPEW will add its name to the list of signatories of the ‘Stop the JNF Campaign’. (http://www.stopthejnf.org/).
– the on-going displacement of indigenous Palestinians from their land
– the theft of their property
– the funding of historic and present day colonies, and
– the destruction of the natural environment.
Stop the JNF Campaign: Media Release
by Asa Winstanley, The Electronic Intifada, 22 February 2012
The Electronic Intifada, 1 October 2011
“That this House welcomes the Stop the Jewish National Fund (JNF) Campaign launched on 30 March 2011 by the Palestinian Boycott National Committee, the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network, Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign and others to inform the public about the JNF – Karen Kayemet L’Yisrael, its ongoing illegal expropriation of Palestinian land, concealing of destroyed Palestinian villages beneath parks and forests, and prevention of refugees from returning to their homes; notes that the JNF’s constitution is explicitly discriminatory by stating that land and property will never be rented, leased or sold to non-Jews; further notes that the UN rejected the JNF USA’s application for consultative status with the Economic and Social Council on the ground that it violates the principles of the UN Charter on Human Rights; regrets that the Prime Minister is a JNF honorary patron; and believes that there is just cause to consider revocation of the JNF’s charitable status in the UK.”
Constituents can sign letters to the MPs here:http://coordin8.org.uk/app/index.php/com/edm1677